Taxis: Licensing

Transport written question – answered on 11th January 2010.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Brian Jenkins Brian Jenkins Labour, Tamworth

To ask the Minister of State, Department for Transport

(1) what plans he has to reduce the number of unlicensed minicab drivers;

(2) what estimate has been made of the number of unlicensed minicab drivers operating in each of the last four years.

Photo of Sadiq Khan Sadiq Khan Minister of State (Department for Transport)

In order to offer a private hire vehicle (PHV) service lawfully in England (outside London), the operator, the driver and the vehicle must be licensed by the relevant local authority under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976. It is a matter for local licensing authorities to ensure vehicles are licensed in the correct manner, to make assessments of the extent of illegal operation in their area and take appropriate enforcement action where necessary. We do not keep a central record of any such assessments. The Department for Transport issues guidance to local authorities in this respect.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.