Travelling People: Caravan Sites

Home Department written question – answered on 9th July 2009.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of David Tredinnick David Tredinnick Conservative, Bosworth

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what support is available to local residents from the police to prevent illegal Travellers sites being established at times when local authority offices are closed, with particular reference to cases where the land is owned by the Travellers concerned.

Photo of David Hanson David Hanson Minister of State (Home Office) (Crime and Policing)

Police have powers under the Criminal Justice and Public Act 1994 to deal with unauthorised encampments. These are discretionary powers and it would be a decision for the senior officer at the scene as to whether they were used.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No4 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.