Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.Donate to our crowdfunder
(1) how much funding his Department has allocated for the construction of bus lanes in (a) Mid-Bedfordshire constituency and (b) the East of England in each year since 1997; and if he will make a statement;
(2) how much funding his Department has allocated for the construction of bicycle paths in (a) Mid- Bedfordshire constituency and (b) the East of England in each year since 1997; and if he will make a statement;
(3) how much funding his Department has allocated for the construction of footpaths in (a) Mid-Bedfordshire constituency and (b) the East of England in each year since 1997; and if he will make a statement.
The Department for Transport allocates integrated transport block and highways maintenance funding to local transport authorities for capital investment in transport. Funding provided by the Department to local authorities is not generally ring-fenced and local authorities have discretion to spend their allocations in line with their priorities, which may include bicycle paths, bus lanes and footpaths. Allocations provided to Bedfordshire and the Eastern Region since 1997 are shown in the table.
| Note: |
Since 2000 the allocations comprise integrated transport block grant and highways maintenance. Prior to 2000 the allocations are in the form of gross approved spending.
Revenue expenditure on transport is generally supported through the Department for Communities and Local Government's Formula Grant.
The Department also provided specific funding for:
1. In 2008-09, the Department made available £117,000 to Bedfordshire and Luton borough for their Cycling Demonstration Town. In the same year, the East of England region was also allocated £548,000. This was made up of capital and revenue funding.
2. The cycling programme—'Links to Schools'—set up in the East of England received capital funding from the Department. The amounts are stated in the table:
|For Bedfordshire, Luton borough||(120,000)|