Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Motor Vehicles: Foreigners

Transport written question – answered on 11th June 2009.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Mark Lancaster Mark Lancaster Shadow Minister (International Development)

To ask the Minister of State, Department for Transport what mechanism his Department uses to establish whether a foreign-registered car has been driven in the UK for a period of longer than six months.

Photo of Paul Clark Paul Clark Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Department for Transport

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) records details of foreign registered vehicles as they are circulating in the UK from a range of sources. These include its own automatic number plate recognition cameras, reports from members of the public, the police, local authorities and DVLA's wheel-clamping contractor. This information allows, on second and subsequent sightings, the length of time a vehicle is likely to have been circulating in the UK to be calculated, supporting wheel-clamping and impounding of non-compliant vehicles as appropriate.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes2 people think so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.