Care Homes

Health written question – answered on 18th May 2009.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Keith Vaz Keith Vaz Chair, Home Affairs Committee, Member, Labour Party National Executive Committee

To ask the Secretary of State for Health how many care homes in (a) England and (b) Leicester are operated by (i) local authorities and (ii) private enterprises; and what estimate he has made of the number of persons over 60 years old resident in each category of home.

Photo of Phil Hope Phil Hope Minister of State (Care Services; Minister for the East Midlands), Department of Health

We are informed by the Care Quality Commission (CQC) that the numbers of services operating in Leicester city council area and in England are as shown in the following table.

Ownership type Leicester city council England
Charity 3 843
Local authority 11 1,055
National health service 193
Other 102
Private 90 14,052
Voluntary 9 2,168
Total 113 18,413
Note: Services include care and nursing homes inspected against the national minimum standards for care homes for older people (aged 65 or over) and care homes for younger adults (aged 18-64). Source: CQC registration and inspection database. Data as at 8 April 2009.

Information on the total numbers of residents, those aged over 60 and those whose care is privately funded in care homes is not collected centrally.

Information about the number of people aged 65 and over in residential care, funded fully or in part by councils with adult social services responsibilities, is collected by the NHS information centre for health and social care. This information is shown in the following table.

Council supported residents aged 65 and over at 31 March 2008
Area Residential care homes Independent nursing homes
Council Independent
England 18,000 106,600 57,700
Leicester city council 300 700 200
Note: Figures exclude unstaffed homes and adult placements. Source: NHS Information Centre.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.