Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Thailand: Aviation

Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs written question – answered on 23rd April 2009.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Elliot Morley Elliot Morley Labour, Scunthorpe

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs what recent discussions he has had with the Government of Thailand on the timetable for an inquiry into the air crash in Phuket in September 2007 in which British citizens were involved.

Photo of Bill Rammell Bill Rammell Minister of State, Foreign & Commonwealth Office

Consular staff in Bangkok last spoke with the Director of Aviation Safety Standards from the Civil Aviation Department for Thailand before Easter. The investigation into the cause of the One Two Go airline crash at Phuket airport on 16 September 2007 is still going on. The International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) have passed the official technical investigation report to the Thai Government. The Thai technical sub-committee is reviewing the report and it is due to be finalised and endorsed by the Thai Minister for Transport in mid May 2009. However, this time frame could slip, depending on decisions by the technical sub-committee. Once the report is finalised it will need to be translated into several languages, including English, and then checked by the ICAO. The Thai authorities have 30 days to produce the translation and the ICAO have a further 60 days to check and verify the technical details of the translation. This would mean that the verified English translation of the report will be released by mid August 2009 at the earliest.

Our embassy in Bangkok is monitoring the progress of the investigation and we will alert the right hon. Member and the families concerned as soon as the report is made public.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.