Empty Property

Communities and Local Government written question – answered on 11th March 2009.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Stewart Jackson Stewart Jackson Shadow Minister (Communities and Local Government)

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government what figures her Department collects on the number of vacant (a) private and (b) public sector homes in each local authority area.

Photo of Iain Wright Iain Wright Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Communities and Local Government)

Vacant stock at district level is collected from a variety of sources:

The number of local authority owned vacant dwellings and the number of 'other public sector' (other than local authority and RSL) vacant dwellings is obtained from the Housing Strategy Statistical Appendix (HSSA) and the HRA Business Planning Statistical Appendix (BPSA) submitted to CLG by local authorities.

The number of registered social landlords (RSLs) owned vacant dwellings is obtained from the Regulatory and Statistical Return (RSR) submitted to the Tenants Services Authority by RSLs.

An estimate of the number of private sector vacant dwellings is obtained by subtracting the number of local authority owned, RSL owned and 'other public sector' vacant dwellings from the total number of vacant dwellings obtained from council tax records submitted to CLG by local authorities on CTB1 and CTBS1 returns.

Figures on council tax vacants can be found at

http://www.local.communities.gov.uk/finance/stats/ctbase.htm, and data on stock and vacants for local authorities and RSLs can be found at


At regional level, additional information on the age, type and condition of vacant stock is available from the "English House Condition Survey" (EHCS).

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.