Council Tax Benefits

Work and Pensions written question – answered on 11th March 2009.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Julia Goldsworthy Julia Goldsworthy Shadow Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions what the 2009-10 personal allowance for council tax benefit is for (a) single people aged under 25 and lone parents aged under 18, (b) single people aged 25 to 59 and lone parents aged 18 to 59, (c) single people aged 60 or over, (d) couples where both partners are aged under 18, (e) couples where the older partner is aged 18 to 59 and (f) couples where the older partner is aged 60 or over.

Photo of Kitty Ussher Kitty Ussher Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Department for Work and Pensions

holding answer 9 March 2009

The information is in the table.

Council tax benefit personal allowance rates for 2009-10
Single people aged under 25 50.95
Lone parent aged under 18 0
Single people aged 25-59 (or any age entitled to main phase ESA) 64.30
Lone parents aged 18-59 64.30
Single person/lone parent aged 60-64 130.00
Single person/lone parent aged 65 or over 150.40
Couples, both partners aged under 18 0
Couples where older partner is aged 18-59 100.95
Couples where one or both are aged 60 or over, but both are aged under 65 198.45
Couples where one or both are aged 65 or over 225.50

1. Nil rate quoted as a person must be aged 18 or over in order to be liable for council tax.

2. Rates quoted above do not include any additional allowances which might be applicable, for example in respect of children.


Following the uprating statement to Parliament made by right hon. Tony McNulty MP on 11 December 2008, DWP issued a press release giving details of the benefit uprating:

Local authorities were informed of the new rates in HB/CTB Circular A27/2008, a copy of which is at:

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.