Departmental Compensation

Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs written question – answered on 11th March 2009.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Andrew Murrison Andrew Murrison Shadow Minister (Defence)

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs what scheme of compensation exists for his Department's officials injured in (a) Iraq and (b) Afghanistan; and if he will make a statement.

Photo of Gillian Merron Gillian Merron Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Foreign & Commonwealth Office

holding answer 9 March 2009

The Principal Civil Service Pension Scheme provides benefits to members (UK Civil Servants) who suffer injury, and to the families of those who die while on duty in the UK or overseas. These benefits are provided via two schemes, an injury benefits scheme and a personal injury compensation scheme.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) also makes ex-gratia payments to its staff, both UK Civil Servants and locally engaged staff, who suffer injury or death overseas in terrorist attacks as a result of their Crown service.

In addition the FCO reimburses staff for the cost of additional premiums imposed by life insurers because of service in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.