To ask the Secretary of State for Justice
(1) whether boys held on red level in Wetherby Young Offenders Institution are permitted to telephone their solicitors during office hours;
(2) how much outdoor exercise boys in Wetherby Young Offenders Institution are able to take;
(3) how often boys held on red level in Wetherby Young Offenders Institution have association with other young people; and how long on average they spend alone in their cells each day;
(4) how often boys held on red level in Wetherby Young Offenders Institution are permitted to telephone their families;
(5) what the arrangements for providing boys in Wetherby Young Offenders Institution with decent clothing are;
(6) how often boys held on red level in Wetherby Young Offenders Institution are allowed to have a shower;
(7) how many boys in each age cohort have been placed on red level in Wetherby Young Offenders Institution in each month since January 2008; and for how long each was on red level.
Those on red level status have the same access to telephones during office hours as other young people at Wetherby. However like all other young people they are normally engaged in educational or vocational training activities during the core day. If a young person needs to contact his solicitor a member of staff will facilitate it as soon as possible.
During the week, young people walk to their activity areas each day in the fresh air. At weekends, all young people have access to at least one hour's outdoor exercise per day. During the summer months, young people also have access to outdoor exercise in the evenings. In addition there are a large number of outdoor activities as well as horticultural and recycling vocational training. Some physical education activities also take place outdoors.
Young people on red level participate in the whole range of purposeful activities and curriculum. However they do not take part in association with other young people during the evenings or at weekends. Typically, they might expect to be out of their room for approximately 6.75 hours each day during weekdays, although this will vary for each young person.
Young people on red level are permitted to telephone their families at least every other day. However, more frequent contact can be arranged in cases where young people would benefit from it.
Freshly laundered clothing is issued to young people on a weekly basis. They receive five T-shirts, seven pairs of underpants, socks, a gym vest and shorts, two jumpers and two pairs of trousers. Each unit also keeps a stock of clean clothing in case a young person requires an emergency replacement.
48 rooms at Wetherby have a fitted shower providing unlimited access. The vast majority of other young people, including those on red level, have an opportunity to shower daily when they attend physical education activities or during the evening association periods.
The information on numbers of young people placed on red level and the length of time spent on red level is not held in the format requested and would involve the examination of a very large numbers of individual files which would involve disproportionate cost.