To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions how many (a) pensioners and (b) people of working age are (i) in receipt of council tax benefit and (ii) eligible for council tax benefit and live in households where no one is eligible to pay income tax.
The information requested is in the table.
|Total number of recipients of council tax benefit in Great Britain aged under/over 60: August 2007|
|Number of benefit units in receipt of council tax benefit||5,079,080|
|Number of benefit units in receipt of council tax benefit where claimant aged 60 and over||2,528,950|
|Number of benefit units in receipt of council tax benefit where claimant aged 59 and under||2,550,140|
| Notes: |
1. The data refer to benefit units, which may be a single person or a couple.
2. The figures have been rounded to the nearest ten.
3. Figures for any non-responding authorities have been estimated.
4. Council tax benefit totals exclude any second adult rebate cases.
5. Totals may not sum due to rounding.
6. From February 2007, DWP has been collecting more detailed HB/CTB data electronically from local authorities. Over time this will improve the accuracy, timeliness and level of detail available in the published statistics. However, until the new data have been fully quality assured to National Statistics standards, the most recent summary statistics available are for August 2007.
7. Administrative HB/CTB Information contains two age breakdowns on the basis of the age of individual who makes the claim (i) those under the age of 60 and (ii) those aged 60 and over. Therefore 'Pensioners' refers to recipient benefit units where the person who claimed is aged 60 or over: the partner may be under 60.
Housing benefit and council tax benefit management information system quarterly 100 per cent. caseload stock-count taken in August 2007.
Analysis of the Family Resources survey for 2006-07 suggests that 61 per cent. of pensioners entitled to council tax benefit are not liable to pay income tax.
For people of working age 81 per cent. of families entitled to council tax benefit are not liable to pay income tax.
These estimates refer to Great Britain and are based on survey data and modelling so are subject to sample variation and to other forms of errors.