Pension Schemes

Work and Pensions written question – answered on 26th February 2009.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lindsay Hoyle Lindsay Hoyle Labour, Chorley

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions what arrangements are in place to aid those customers unable to use personal identification numbers in relation to their pension payments.

Photo of Rosie Winterton Rosie Winterton Minister of State (Regional Affairs) (Yorkshire and the Humber), Minister of State (Department for Work and Pensions) (Pensions Reform) and Minister (Yorkshire and the Humber)

Customers unable to use personal identification numbers (PINs) can be paid into an account that offers alternative access arrangements (for example a chip and signature card or building society passbook). They could also access their money by cashing a personal cheque or, where appropriate, allowing a third party access to their account. Those who are unable to operate an account of any kind are currently paid by cheque.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.