Environment Food and Rural Affairs written question – answered on 24th February 2009.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Chris McCafferty Chris McCafferty Labour, Calder Valley

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

(1) what his policy is on the payment of recycling credits to third party collectors who collect material from the kerbside in one local authority area but send the material to a neighbouring local authority area which is willing to pay a recycling credit and claim the recycling within their reported recycling rate and his Department's WasteDataFlow system;

(2) how household recycling collected at the kerbside by social enterprise organisations is included in his Department's WasteDataFlow in circumstances where the local authority does not pay a recycling credit.

Photo of Jane Kennedy Jane Kennedy Minister of State (Farming and the Environment), Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

holding answer 23 February 2009

Local authorities have a power but not a duty to pay recycling credits to third parties. The local authority in the area where the waste was collected may decide whether it would be reasonable to pay credits under these circumstances.

WasteDataFlow collects information on "tonnes of material collected from kerbside schemes by non contracted/voluntary community sector from household sources". No information is collected on whether or not local authorities pay recycling credit in WasteDataFlow.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.