Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Council Tax: Arrears

Communities and Local Government written question – answered on 18th December 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Elliot Morley Elliot Morley Labour, Scunthorpe

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government whether local authorities may use county courts to recover council tax arrears.

Photo of John Healey John Healey Minister of State (Department of Communities and Local Government) (Local Government)

No. Under Schedule 4 to the Local Government Finance Act 1992 recovery of council tax arrears must be through a magistrates court. However, we are looking at reforms to allow billing authorities to transfer council tax debts from magistrates courts to county courts in certain circumstances.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No2 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.