We need your support to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can continue to hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Council Tax: Arrears

Communities and Local Government written question – answered on 18th December 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Elliot Morley Elliot Morley Labour, Scunthorpe

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government what guidance is given to local authorities on the recovery of council tax arrears and procedures to be followed by private companies contracted to recover them; and when this guidance will next be reviewed.

Photo of John Healey John Healey Minister of State (Department of Communities and Local Government) (Local Government)

Communities and Local Government's predecessor department the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister jointly published, with the Government Operational Research Service a Council Tax Collection Good Practice Report in 2004. The report looks at ways of sharing good practice among practitioners, in order to promote continuous improvement in service delivery and collection.

The report can be accessed via Communities and Local Government website at


Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.