Departmental Research

Environment Food and Rural Affairs written question – answered on 22nd October 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Bill Wiggin Bill Wiggin Shadow Minister (Environment, Food and Rural Affairs)

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs what research that his Department has commissioned is being undertaken by the Joint Nature Conservation Committee; and if he will make a statement.

Photo of Huw Irranca-Davies Huw Irranca-Davies Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) (Marine and Natural Environment)

DEFRA does not routinely commission research from the Joint Nature Conservation Committee (JNCC) but, rather asks for advice. JNCC then commissions research that it believes is necessary to underpin this advice. Details of this research are available in the JNCC annual report and its planned research is contained in its Corporate Plan, both of which can be found on JNCC's website.

There is one exception however, in that JNCC is currently undertaking DEFRA commissioned research on the status of marine habitats and species as part of DEFRA's contract to JNCC to author chapters of 'Charting Progress 2'. This in turn is a contribution to the UK Marine Monitoring and Assessment Strategy, as required under the Marine Strategy Framework Directive.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.