Departmental Public Relations

Transport written question – answered on 22nd October 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Michael Ancram Michael Ancram Conservative, Devizes

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport how much his Department spent on (a) entertainment, (b) advertising and promotion and (c) public relations consultancy in 2007-08.

Photo of Geoff Hoon Geoff Hoon Secretary of State, Department for Transport

The total marketing spend for the Department and Executive agencies in the 2007-08 fiscal year are set out in the following table. The Department's major areas of marketing spend were in support of our marketing activities on the THINK! road safety campaign, Act on CO2 campaign, Concessionary Bus Fares campaign, aviation security and the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency's continuous registration campaign.

The total expenditure figures for external public relations support are also set out in the following table. The figures, which are rounded, include the cost of public relations agency fees and the cost of public relations promotions in various media. The prime use of external public relations is in support of the marketing activities mentioned above. Public relations costs are included in the marketing figures.

Department for Transport 2007-08 marketing costs 2007-08 PR costs
DFT Central 26,700,000 625,000
Driving Standards Agency 299,700 0
Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency 10,400,000 500,000
Highways Agency 1,600,000 0
Vehicle and Operator Services Agency 57,000 27,000
Maritime and Coastguard Agency 1,075,000 53,000
Vehicle Certification Agency 80,500 0
Government Car and Despatch Agency 171,800 0

Information on entertainment spend by the Department and Executive agencies is not held centrally, and could be provided only at disproportionate cost. All expenditure is incurred in accordance with the principles of Managing Public Money and the Treasury handbook on Regulatory and Propriety.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.