Home Department written question – answered on 15th October 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Bob Spink Bob Spink UKIP, Castle Point

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what steps for redress are available to people who believe they have suffered from an abuse of intrusive surveillance powers by (a) local authorities and (b) central Government-controlled bodies; and if she will make a statement.

Photo of Vernon Coaker Vernon Coaker Minister of State (Home Office) (Policing, Crime & Security)

holding answer 13 October 2008

Under section 65 of the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000, the Investigatory Powers Tribunal is the responsible body for any complaint about public authority conduct under the Act. If it determines that there has been a contravention of the Act, it is required to notify the complainant and in certain circumstances make a report to my right hon. Friend the Prime Minister. It may, if appropriate, quash any warrant or authorisation, order the destruction of relevant material and award compensation or make any other order as they think fit.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.