Spinal Injuries: Health Services

Health written question – answered on 15th October 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Ian Lucas Ian Lucas PPS (Mr Liam Byrne, Minister of State), Home Office, Assistant Whip (HM Treasury)

To ask the Secretary of State for Health

(1) what mechanisms are in place to monitor the outcomes of spinal cord injury care to ensure the minimum quality standards are being achieved;

(2) what mechanisms are in place to monitor those foundation trusts that host the specialist spinal cord injury centres to ensure that those centres provide an appropriate level of service to patients with spinal cord injury.

Photo of Ann Keen Ann Keen Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Health Services), Department of Health

Spinal cord injury services are a specialised service, as defined within the National Specialised Services Definition Set. It is for specialised commissioning groups on behalf of their constituent primary care trusts to assess local needs and to contract directly with each NHS trust or NHS foundation trust for these services. Contracts should cover appropriate standards of care and include mechanisms for monitoring standards and ensuring patients that are treated appropriately.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.