Health written question – answered on 21st July 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Bob Russell Bob Russell Opposition Whip (Commons), Shadow Minister (Defence)

To ask the Secretary of State for Health what his policy is on the provision of (a) transgender procedures and (b) gender reassignment; and what direction he gives to NHS trusts on the matter.

Photo of Ivan Lewis Ivan Lewis Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department of Health) (Care Services)

The Department does not issue directions to primary care trusts (PCTs) on this matter. It is for PCTs to decide on the circumstances in which they will provide gender reassignment procedures, taking into account a patient's individual clinical needs and the resources they have available to provide health care for their wider population.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.