Departmental Car Allowances

Communities and Local Government written question – answered on 15th July 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Nicholas Winterton Nicholas Winterton Conservative, Macclesfield

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government what mileage allowance is provided to each category of entitled worker by (a) her Department and (b) local authorities; and if she will make a statement.

Photo of Parmjit Dhanda Parmjit Dhanda Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Department for Communities and Local Government

Motor mileage allowance may be claimed for the purpose of official travel by all Communities and Local Government staff. For journeys where staff could reasonably be expected to use public transport then an equivalent mileage rate is paid. A higher, standard mileage rate may be claimed where it is not practical to use public transport. The allowance rates are currently:

Standard mileage rate

Higher (up to 10,000 miles): 40p per mile;

Lower (over 10,000 miles): 25p per mile.

Public transport rate

All mileage: 25p per mile.

Details of motor mileage allowances provided by local authorities are not held centrally.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.