Domestic Violence: Victim Support Schemes

Women and Equality written question – answered on 15th July 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of John Bercow John Bercow Conservative, Buckingham

To ask the Minister for Women and Equality what funding her Department has allocated to charities which provide specialist support to women who have been affected by domestic violence over the next three years.

Photo of Barbara Follett Barbara Follett Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Government Equalities Office

The Government Equalities Office (GEO), has a strategic and influencing role within Government to address the disadvantage that individuals experience because of their gender; race; disability; age; sexual orientation; religion or belief. It is managing a cross-Government emergency fund aimed at keeping a number of rape crisis centres open. However, GEO does not typically allocate funding to charities which provide specialist support services to those experiencing disadvantage and has no plans to do so for charities supporting women affected by domestic violence.

The responsibility for funding decisions about local level, including the provision of specialist support to women who have been affected by domestic violence, rests with local authorities. GEO will continue to work in partnership with the Women's National Commission, the Equalities and Human Rights Commission and other Government Departments to keep a close watch on the way in which local areas prioritise funding for domestic violence services.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.