British Citizenship

House of Lords written question – answered on 15th July 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Greaves Lord Greaves Spokesperson in the Lords, Environment, Food & Rural Affairs, Spokesperson in the Lords (Planning), Department for Communities and Local Government

asked Her Majesty's Government:

What educational advice they use from (a) departments, and (b) elsewhere when deciding whether to approve and accredit agencies, courses and qualifications in connection with applications for British citizenship and indefinite leave to remain.

Photo of Lord West of Spithead Lord West of Spithead Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Security and Counter-terrorism), Home Office, Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Home Office) (Security and Counter-terrorism)

The UK Border Agency does not itself accredit agencies, courses or qualifications. In devising its policies and procedures in connection with British citizenship and indefinite leave to remain it sought and accepted advice from the former Department for Education and Skills that it should accept only ESOL Skills for Life certificates from awarding bodies accredited by the Qualifications and Curriculum Authority. It continues to liaise closely with the Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills on the provision of language training for migrants.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.