British Citizenship

House of Lords written question – answered on 15th July 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Greaves Lord Greaves Spokesperson in the Lords, Environment, Food & Rural Affairs, Spokesperson in the Lords (Planning), Department for Communities and Local Government

asked Her Majesty's Government:

What assessment they have made of the English language course "ESOL-Skills for Life" for people who are applying for British nationality or an indefinite stay visa provided by the Citizenship Training School in Leyton.

Photo of Lord West of Spithead Lord West of Spithead Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Security and Counter-terrorism), Home Office, Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Home Office) (Security and Counter-terrorism)

Applicants for indefinite leave to remain or citizenship must provide the UK Border Agency with evidence that they have attained a relevant accredited qualification, defined as an ESOL Skills for Life qualification in speaking and listening at entry level approved by the Qualifications and Curriculum Authority (QCA). The UK Border Agency will only accept certificates provided by a QCA-accredited awarding body and not from individual colleges.

The QCA and the Office of the Qualifications and Examinations Regulator are responsible for accrediting qualifications. They ensure that organisations that offer and deliver qualifications have good systems in place and that they are held to account for their performance.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.