Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Domestic Violence: Reoffenders

Home Department written question – answered on 24th June 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Don Touhig Don Touhig Labour, Islwyn

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what measures are in place to reduce levels of domestic violence reoffending.

Photo of Vernon Coaker Vernon Coaker Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Home Office) (Crime Reduction)

The Government are approaching this issue from two perspectives. Firstly, there is a focus on the protection of victims through the Multi Agency Risk Assessment Conferences (MARACs) which identify those victims most at risk of serious harm and develop interventions to reduce the risk of repeat victimisation and by managing the offender.

Secondly, three accredited domestic abuse perpetrator programmes have been developed for convicted domestic abuse perpetrators. The Integrated Domestic Abuse Programme (IDAP) and the Community Domestic Violence Programme (CDVP) have been fully implemented in all probation areas in England and Wales. The Healthy Relationships Programme (HRP) is run in custody. To ensure the effectiveness of the programmes, a range of evaluation projects has been commissioned. We are also continuing to support the Multi Agency Public Protection Arrangements (MAPPA) under which police, probation and prison services in each of the 42 areas in England and Wales work together with social care, health, housing and education services to assess and manage the most serious sexual and violent offenders.

A domestic abuse strategy for the National Offender Management Service is being developed. This will build upon the principles contained in the National Probation Service National Interim Domestic Abuse Policy and Strategy.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.