Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.Donate to our crowdfunder
To ask the Secretary of State for Children, Schools and Families
(1) what percentage of children in the care system are from ethnic minorities;
(3) how many respite care home places were available for disabled children in (a) Aylesbury Vale district and (b) England in 2007;
(4) how many foster care placements there were in (a) Aylesbury Vale district and (b) England in 2007.
Information on Aylesbury Vale (Buckinghamshire) is not collected centrally. Where the question refers to Aylesbury Vale we have provided statistical information on Buckinghamshire as a whole.
Information on the numbers and percentages of children looked after in the care system, broken down by ethnicity over the last five years is shown in the following table. The information is taken from the Statistical First Release (SFR 27/2007) entitled 'Children looked after in England (including adoption and care leavers) year ending
|Children looked after at 31 March by ethnic origin, 2003-07( 1,2,3) , England|
|Number and Percentage|
|2003( 4)||2004( 5)||2005( 5)||2006( 5)||2007( 5)||2003( 4)||2004( 5)||2005( 5)||2006( 5)||2007( 5)|
|All children looked after at 31 March( 1,2)||61,200||61,200||61,000||60,300||60,000||100||100||100||100||100|
|Any other White background||1,800||1,900||1,800||1,600||1,500||3||3||3||3||3|
|White and Black Caribbean||2,000||2,000||2,000||1,900||1,900||3||3||3||3||3|
|White and Black African||400||410||440||430||440||1||1||1||1||1|
|White and Asian||750||720||720||750||770||1||1||1||1||1|
|Any other mixed background||2,000||2,000||2,000||2,000||2,000||3||3||3||3||3|
|Asian or Asian British:|
|Any other Asian background||320||480||650||880||1,000||1||1||1||1||2|
|Black or Black British:|
|Any other Black background||870||880||900||900||880||1||1||1||1||1|
|Other ethnic groups:|
|Any other ethnic group||750||840||900||1,000||1,200||1||1||1||2||2|
|(1) Source: SSDA903 return on children looked after. |
(2) Figures exclude children looked after under an agreed series of short-term placements.
(3) Historical data may differ from older publications. This is mainly due to the implementation of amendments and corrections sent by some local authorities after the publication date of previous materials.
(4) Figures are derived from the SSDA 903 one-third sample survey.
(5) Figures are taken from the SSDA 903 return which, since 2003-04, has covered all children looked after.
The number of children looked after that were adopted during the year ending
Information on the number of respite care home places which were available for disabled children in (a) Aylesbury Vale and (b) England in 2007 is not collected centrally. However, the numbers of children looked after under an agreed series of short-term breaks (respite), who were placed in a children's home or similar establishment at
|Children looked after at 31 March 2007, in respite care by placement in care homes( 1,2) , England|
|Homes and hostels||Other establishments|
|Total||subject to Children's Homes regulations||not subject to Children's Homes regulations||Residential care homes||NHS Trust providing medical/nursing care|
|(1) Source: return on children looked after. |
(2) Figures at national level have been rounded to the nearest 100 if they exceed 1,000 and to the nearest 10 otherwise. Figures at local authority level have been rounded to the nearest five or if zero are shown as zero.
The number of looked after children in foster care placements at