Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder


Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs written question – answered on 21st May 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Julian Brazier Julian Brazier Shadow Minister (Transport)

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs what guidance his Department issued to (a) UK-registered and (b) Royal Navy ships operating in or passing through areas where there is a risk of piracy on (i) intervention in and (ii) taking active steps to prevent acts of piracy in the five years prior to the transfer of responsibility for the issue to other Departments.

Photo of Meg Munn Meg Munn Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Foreign and Commonwealth Office)

holding answer 20 May 2008

Consistent with past practice, it is for the Ministry of Defence to give guidance and instruction to commanders of Royal Naval vessels and for the Department for Transport to give advice to masters of merchant ships registered in the UK.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.