Higher Education: Finance

Innovation, Universities and Skills written question – answered on 21st May 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Roger Gale Roger Gale Conservative, North Thanet

To ask the Secretary of State for Innovation, Universities and Skills what estimate he has made of the number of UK-born British passport-holding students refused access to concessionary rates of education at UK universities as a result of residence with UK national parents temporarily based overseas for three to five year employment contracts.

Photo of Bill Rammell Bill Rammell Minister of State (Lifelong Learning, Further and Higher Education), Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills

There is no record kept of such cases. Generally, UK nationals who have temporarily resided overseas because their parents have undertaken temporary employment contracts are eligible to pay the capped rate of fee and to student support.

UK nationals can be treated as ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom and Islands if they would have been so resident but for the fact that they or certain family members, including their parents, were temporarily employed elsewhere; so long as they are ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of their course.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.