NHS: Finance

Health written question – answered on 21st May 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Anne McIntosh Anne McIntosh Shadow Minister (Environment, Food and Rural Affairs)

To ask the Secretary of State for Health how much has been allocated to be spent per head of population to primary care trusts in (a) England, (b) Yorkshire and the Humber and (c) North Yorkshire and York primary care trust area for 2008-09; what account is taken of the (i) rurality and (ii) sparsity of population in setting the spending per head of population in York and North Yorkshire; and if he will make a statement.

Photo of Ben Bradshaw Ben Bradshaw Minister of State (Regional Affairs) (South West), The Minister of State, Department of Health

The following provides the revenue allocation per head of unweighted population made to England, Yorkshire and the Humberside strategic health authority (SHA), and North Yorkshire and York primary care trust (PCT) for 2008-09.

2008-09 allocation per head (£)
England average 1,449
Yorkshire and the Humber SHA 1,452
North Yorkshire and York PCT 1,269

The funding formula introduced in 2003-04 and used in the 2008-09 PCT revenue allocations, provides the best available measure of health need in all areas. In calculating health need in rural areas it takes account of the effects of access, transport and poverty.

The development of the formula is continuously overseen by the Advisory Committee on resource allocation (ACRA). ACRA is an independent body made up of national health service managers, academics and general practitioners. ACRA has looked at the issue of rurality on many occasions and has considered rural issues as part of its current work programme, which is in place to support revenue allocations to PCTs post 2008-09.

The aim is to announce the outcome of ACRA's review of the formula alongside revenue allocations to PCTs for 2009-10 and 2010-11 before the summer recess.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.