Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Alcoholic Drinks: Misuse

Home Department written question – answered on 21st May 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Tobias Ellwood Tobias Ellwood Shadow Minister (Culture, Media and Sport)

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department further to the Prime Minister's comments on tackling binge drinking at her press conference on 28 January, what powers are available to local authorities to charge establishments selling alcohol to pay for additional policing.

Photo of Vernon Coaker Vernon Coaker Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Home Office) (Crime Reduction)

holding answer 1 February 2008

Sections 15 to 20 of the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006 give local authorities the power to designate, with the consent of the police, a locality as an alcohol disorder zone (ADZ) where there is a problem with alcohol-related nuisance and disorder. Local authorities will have the power to impose charges on holders of premises licences allowing the sale by retail of alcohol and on holders of club premises certificates allowing the supply of alcohol to members and their guests.

The ADZ regulations have passed through both Houses of Parliament and are expected to be commenced in June 2008. A copy of the updated guidance can be found on the Home Office website using the link below:

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.