Crime: North West

Home Department written question – answered on 20th May 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Mark Hunter Mark Hunter Leader's Parliamentary Private Secretary, Cross-Portfolio and Non-Portfolio Responsibilities

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department how many incidents of (a) domestic burglary, (b) vehicle-related thefts, (c) crimes of violence against a person, (d) crimes involving a gun, knife or sharp instrument, (e) vandalism, (f) rape and (g) homicide were recorded in each parliamentary constituency in the North West in each year since 1997.

Photo of Vernon Coaker Vernon Coaker Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Home Office) (Crime Reduction)

holding answer 15 May 2008

Recorded crime statistics are not collected specifically on a constituency basis. The Home Office does publish statistics at crime and disorder reduction partnership (CDRP) area level.

Although CDRP data is available for selected offences from 1999-2000, the introduction of the National Crime Recording Standard in April 2002 means figures before and after that are not directly comparable. To enable direct comparisons to be made, statistics from 2002-03 onwards are provided in the tables placed in the House Library for the following offences: domestic burglary, theft of and from a vehicle, violence against the person, criminal damage, rape and homicide. Statistics are not available for crimes involving guns, knives or sharp instruments at CDRP level.

A look-up table is available that identifies which constituencies are associated with CDRPs. In many instances, a CDRP may comprise of more than one constituency. Conversely, some constituencies will come within two or more CDRPs, either wholly or partially. The look-up table is available at:

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.