Cancer: East of England

Health written question – answered on 20th May 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Andrew Lansley Andrew Lansley Shadow Secretary of State for Health

To ask the Secretary of State for Health

(1) what guidance his Department has issued to the East of England Strategic Health Authority on the provision of oncological services in the region in the last three years;

(2) what provisions there are in the private finance initiative agreement between his Department and the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust on the number of (a) oncological procedures and (b) head and neck cancer procedures to be carried out at the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital.

Photo of Ann Keen Ann Keen Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Health Services), Department of Health

It is for local primary care trusts (PCTs) in conjunction with their strategic health authorities (SHAs) and other stakeholders to plan and commission services for their local populations, including oncological services. The Department has not issued any guidance to the East of England SHA on the provision of oncological services in the region.

Since May 2005, the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) has issued Improving Outcomes Guidance (IOG) to the national health service on four cancer tumour sites—Children and Young People with Cancer (August 2005), Skin Tumours including melanoma (February 2006), Sarcoma (March 2006) and Brain (June 2006). The IOG series sets out recommendations on how services for patients with cancers should be organised in order to ensure the best outcomes. Implementation of NICE guidance is a developmental standard and the Healthcare Commission is responsible for assessing progress of healthcare organisations towards achieving developmental standards.

Private finance initiative contracts are held locally between NHS trusts and the contractors, and contain no clauses for the provision of clinical services.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.