Stateless People

House of Lords written question – answered on 20th May 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Hylton Lord Hylton Crossbench

asked Her Majesty's Government:

Whether they will ensure that stateless people and those living in internationally unrecognised entities are fully considered when applying for scholarships, other educational visits and visas to the United Kingdom.

Photo of Baroness Morgan of Drefelin Baroness Morgan of Drefelin Government Whip, Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills, Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills)

Stateless people living overseas and those living in internationally unrecognised entities are able to apply for visas for entry to the United Kingdom, for the purposes of study, without restriction.

The Government support a number of scholarship schemes which are available to international students coming to the UK to study. The criteria which apply vary according to the scheme. Some schemes are open to particular countries or regions of the world. For example, the Commonwealth Scholarship scheme is available to citizens of Commonwealth countries and the Marshall Scheme relates to United States citizens. Through the Foreign and Commonwealth Office the Government fund the Chevening Scholarship and Fellowship Scheme, which is open to students from around the world, but they must be nationals of a country other than the United Kingdom. Higher education institutions are also free to offer scholarships to international students and, as autonomous institutions, are responsible for determining the criteria for allocating such awards.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.