Prisoners Transfers: Young Offenders

Justice written question – answered on 8th May 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Madeleine Moon Madeleine Moon PPS (Jim Knight, Minister of State), Department for Children, Schools and Families

To ask the Secretary of State for Justice how many youth offending team inspections found that young offenders were sharing transport with adult prisoners in each of the last three years, broken down by establishment; and if he will make a statement.

Photo of David Hanson David Hanson The Minister of State, Ministry of Justice

Youth offending teams are not responsible for arranging transport to custody and the issue of juvenile and adult prisoners sharing the same vehicle is not addressed in their inspections.

Escort contractors retain information by contractual year; September to August. No records are kept on the number of young adult prisoners (aged 18 to 20 years) sharing transport with adult prisoners, as this is permitted under the contracts.

Juvenile prisoners (aged 15 to 17 years) and adult prisoners should not travel in the same vehicle except in special circumstances, for example when the delay in waiting for a separate vehicle is not in the best interests of the individual. Where juvenile and adult prisoners travel in the same vehicle they are escorted onto the vehicle separately, segregated while on the vehicle and a custody officer remains in the back of the vehicle throughout the journey to ensure their welfare.

Information is held on the number of occasions that juvenile prisoners have shared transport with adult prisoners since September 2005. The information is not recorded by establishment.

Period Number of occasions juvenile prisoners shared transport with adult prisoners Total number of juvenile prisoners escorted
September 2005 to August 2006 2,840 76,289
September 2006 to August 2007 2,524 75,685
September 2007 to August 2008 981 40,823

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.