Departmental Pay

Health written question – answered on 8th May 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Dan Rogerson Dan Rogerson Opposition Whip (Commons), Shadow Minister (Communities and Local Government)

To ask the Secretary of State for Health what the cost of (a) salaries for permanent civil service posts, (b) salaries for permanent non-civil service posts and (c) payments to temporary or agency workers in his Department was in each month since May 2005.

Photo of Maria Eagle Maria Eagle The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Justice

I have been asked to reply.

The cost of salaries and payments split by months is available only at disproportionate cost.

The total annual figures for those entities within the Accounting Boundary of Ministry of Justice for 2006-07, and a provisional figure for 2007-08 which is subject to audit, are set out in the following table.

Figures cannot readily be disaggregated between civil servants and non-civil servants.

Wages and salaries
£ million
Permanently employed Temporary/agency Total
2006-07 2,342 132 2,474
2007-08 2,443 133 2,576

1. Figures for 2005-06 are not readily available for an aggregated MoJ. The figures for 2006-07 and 2007-08 assume the MoJ was in existence for both years, whereas it actually came into existence on 9 May 2007.

2. Figures include wages and salaries only. No employer social security costs or employer's pension costs are included.

3. Judges, both salaried and fee-paid, are excluded, due to their independent status.

4. The annual figures are for bodies within the Accounting Boundary of MoJ and do not include non departmental public bodies sponsored by MoJ.

5. The Accounting Boundary of the Ministry of Justice includes: HM Court Service, Tribunals Service, Office of Public Guardianship, Wales Office, Scotland Office, National Probation Service, HM Prison Service and MoJ HQ.

6. Figures for 2007-08 are provisional, and subject to audit.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.