Transport: Heavy Goods Vehicles

House of Lords written question – answered on 8th May 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Roberts of Llandudno Lord Roberts of Llandudno Spokesperson in the Lords, International Development, Spokesperson in the Lords, Welsh Affairs, Whip

asked Her Majesty's Government:

What guidance they give to overseas truck drivers regarding United Kingdom road traffic regulations.

Photo of Lord Bassam of Brighton Lord Bassam of Brighton Government Whip, Government Whip

Many road traffic regulations are common across the EU and in particular the rules on driver hours' and roadworthiness standards.

The primary means of conveying the conditions of road traffic regulations to all road users is through traffic signing. Traffic signs are subject to the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002, which are, in turn, derived from international standards set in the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic, and the subsequent 1971 European Agreement. These standards form the basis for international traffic sign design to maximise driver understanding across international boundaries.

However, the onus is on individual drivers to familiarise themselves with the road traffic law of the member state in which they are driving. And in the UK general information for motorists including the Highway Code is available on the "direct gov" website at

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.