China: Overseas Aid

International Development written question – answered on 30th April 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Sir David Amess Sir David Amess Conservative, Southend West

To ask the Secretary of State for International Development whether account is taken of the human rights implications of the Chinese one-child policy in his Department's decisions on aid to China; and if he will make a statement.

Photo of Shahid Malik Shahid Malik Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Department for International Development

Human rights are one of several factors that are taken into account when deciding aid allocations. China has made good progress in recent years in improving reproductive health rights, especially through its implementation of the 2002 Law of Population and Family Planning. This law establishes equal rights for women and men in accordance with the principles of the International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD). Sex-selective abortions are strictly prohibited. Under the Regulations for the Management of Family Planning Technical Services of 2001, the use of physical coercion to compel persons to submit to abortion or sterilization is prohibited.

The Department for International Development (DFID) does not support China's one child policy. The UK Government's policy on population and sexual and reproductive health in the developing world is about providing choice, not coercion. We do not provide direct funding to population activities in China. We do however provide central funding to the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) and the International Planned Parenthood Foundation (IPPF), as well as other organisations in the sexual and reproductive health field that seek to promote informed choice and better services. Neither UNFPA nor IPPF support the one-child policy, but are working hard to uphold reproductive health rights and promote change in China.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.