Motorcycles: Training

Transport written question – answered on 30th April 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Mark Todd Mark Todd Labour, South Derbyshire

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport what steps she is taking to ensure that riders of motorcycles with an engine capacity of under 50cc have undertaken compulsory basic training.

Photo of Jim Fitzpatrick Jim Fitzpatrick Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Transport)

A motorcycle with an engine capacity of under 50cc is classed as a moped. Learner moped riders must undertake a compulsory basic training course before they can ride on the road. This is a legal requirement specified in the Road Traffic Acts. Once a course has been successfully completed, a rider is issued with a certificate. The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency will update the rear of the persons photocard licence on successful completion of the course to show code 122. Any persons riding on the road who ignore this training requirement are committing an offence and are liable to prosecution.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.