Video Games: Young People

Home Department written question – answered on 30th April 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of David Ruffley David Ruffley Shadow Minister (Home Affairs)

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department how many offences (a) in England and Wales and (b) in each police force area were recorded in respect of retailers selling video games or DVDs to underage customers in each year since 1997; how many related police cautions were issued in each of those years; and (i) how many related fines were issued and (ii) what the average fine levied was in each of those years.

Photo of Vernon Coaker Vernon Coaker Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Home Office) (Crime Reduction)

Information on the number of recorded offences of retailers selling video games or DVDs to underage customers is not collected centrally. This is a summary offence and is not included in the police recorded crime statistics.

Statistics on the number of police cautions issued, the number of fines imposed and the average fines have been provided by the Ministry of Justice and are given in the following table for 1997-2006.

Offenders( 1) cautioned( 2) and fined for supplying video recording of classified work in breach of classification( 3—) England and Wales
Number of police cautions issued Number of fines imposed Average fine amount (£)
1997 1 15 519
1998 18 440
1999 33 798
2000 16 1,028
2001 9 1,378
2002 12 1,079
2003 1 14 921
2004 6 775
2005 8 489
2006 8 1,244
(1) Companies, public bodies, etc.

(2) These data are on a principal offence basis.

(3) Video Recording Act 1984 S.11 as amended by the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 S.88 (4)


These figures have been drawn from administrative data systems. Although care is taken when processing and analysing the returns, the detail collected is subject to the inaccuracies inherent in any large scale recording system.


Analytical Services, Ministry of Justice

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.