Home Department written question – answered on 30th April 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Rob Marris Rob Marris PPS (Rt Hon Shaun Woodward, Secretary of State), Northern Ireland Office

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department whether (a) her Department and (b) her Department's non-departmental public bodies provide (i) tax-free benefits and (ii) other allowances for their staff to purchase bicycles under the Cycle to Work scheme; and if she will make a statement.

Photo of Liam Byrne Liam Byrne Minister of State (Regional Affairs) (West Midlands), Minister of State (Home Office) (Borders and Immigration), Minister of State (HM Treasury) (also in the Home Office)

Neither the Department nor its executive non-departmental public bodies (the Independent Police Complaints Commission, the National Policing Improvement Agency, the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner, and the Security Industry Authority) offer a Cycle to Work scheme to their employees.

However, to encourage green commuting, the department does offer an interest free advance for staff purchasing a bicycle, and bicycle safety equipment, for travelling to and from the work place.

This is a tax free benefit in kind and the same tax treatment applies to employees of government departments as to any other employee.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.