Tax Allowances: Carers

Work and Pensions written question – answered on 21st April 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Danny Alexander Danny Alexander Liberal Democrat, Inverness, Nairn, Badenoch and Strathspey

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions what estimate he has made of the cost of increasing the second adult rebate for carers to the level of the single person's discount on council tax; and what assessment he has made of the merits of such an increase.

Photo of Stephen Timms Stephen Timms Minister of State (Department for Work and Pensions) (Employment and Welfare Reform)

There is no second adult rebate specifically for carers. Certain carers are disregarded for council tax purposes, as long as the person they are caring for meets the qualifying conditions. The purpose of the disregard is to ensure that a person who would otherwise be entitled to a single person discount does not lose it because they require a carer to live with them.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.