Young Offenders: Custodial Treatment

Justice written question – answered on 21st April 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of David Laws David Laws Shadow Secretary of State (Children, Schools and Families)

To ask the Secretary of State for Justice what information his Department collects on the academic achievement of young people in custody; and if he will make a statement.

Photo of Beverley Hughes Beverley Hughes Minister of State (Children, Young People and Families; Minister for the North West), Department for Children, Schools and Families, Minister of State (Department for Children, Schools and Families) (Children and Youth Justice) (and Minister for the North West)

I have been asked to reply.

The Department does not hold central records on the achievements of young people in custody. Under the Offender Learning and Skills Service (OLASS), rolled out across England in August 2006, the Learning and Skills Council (LSC) collects data on the academic achievements of young people in Young Offender Institutions. The LSC records literacy, numeracy, ICT and vocational training qualifications separately as well as GCSEs and AS/A level and any personal and social skills qualifications. However, for young people in custody still registered at learning providers in the community, their achievements will be attributed to the learning provider with which they are registered, rather than the custodial establishment's LSC provider. Therefore the LSC figures do not provide records of 'all' of the academic achievements of 'all' young people in YOIs. The LSC figures also do not include the academic achievements of young people in Secure Children's Homes or Secure Training Centres. However, in the context of the Green Paper a settlement was announced in the Children's Plan. We are examining how the academic projects and attainment of all young people in custody can be collected and monitored.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.