Motor Vehicles: Fines

Transport written question – answered on 1st April 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of John Spellar John Spellar Labour, Warley

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport what arrangements are in place to determine whether there are outstanding and unpaid penalties relating to vehicles leaving the UK.

Photo of Rosie Winterton Rosie Winterton Minister of State (Regional Affairs) (Yorkshire and the Humber), Minister of State (Department for Transport)

The enforcement of a civil penalty charge—for example a penalty charge arising from parking, certain moving traffic contraventions, or from a road user charging scheme—is a matter for the issuing local authority. The Government are not aware of local authorities making arrangements to monitor vehicles leaving the UK for this purpose.

The enforcement of criminal penalties is an operational matter for HM Courts Service. HMCS does not routinely monitor vehicles leaving ports for the purpose of fine enforcement. The EU Framework on Mutual Recognition of Financial Penalties, once implemented, should ensure that future offenders from other EU member states pay the penalty for the criminal offences they commit.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.