Hearing Impaired

Innovation, Universities and Skills written question – answered on 1st April 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Andy Reed Andy Reed Labour, Loughborough

To ask the Secretary of State for Innovation, Universities and Skills what provision is made for deaf people to access services provided by his Department through call centres.

Photo of David Lammy David Lammy Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills) (Skills)

The Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills has its telephone enquiry service provided as a shared service by the Department for Children Schools and Families.

The Department for Children, Schools and Families' telephone inquiry service offers a textphone/minicom service for deaf people. They also accept inquiries by email, fax and letter.

On information campaigns—such as provision of Student Finance—our advertising directs people to our campaign website which is fully accessible for people with impairments. A textphone number service is available on the aspirational Aimhigher website; and a transcript of the information DVD is also provided.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes3 people think so

No2 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.