Departmental Pay

Home Department written question – answered on 1st April 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Jacqui Smith Jacqui Smith Home Secretary

Within Home Office Headquarters and the Border and Immigration Agency discretionary bonuses may be awarded in the form of annual, appraisal-related awards based on exceptional contribution throughout the year; or special bonuses for exceptional outstanding achievements by staff in particularly demanding tasks or situations. senior civil servants can be awarded bonuses as set out in the Senior Salaries Review Body report number 62.

The following table provides information about the amount paid in end of year bonuses (annual appraisal related) in the last five years, and includes information for senior civil servants across the Home Office Group, and staff working within Home Office Headquarters and the Border and Immigration Agency. It does not include figures for special bonuses, as this is not available without incurring disproportionate costs.

Amount paid (£)
2002-03 2,067,878
2003-04 3,361,516
2004-05 4,287,676
2005-06 4,449,667
2006-07 4,135,224(1)
(1) Figures for 2006-07 are subject to some change as data is not yet complete.

Staff in the Identity and Passport Service receive end of year corporate bonuses, and change agent bonuses. As the corporate bonuses were only introduced in 2003-04 the following table provides information for the last four years only:

Appraisal bonus Special bonus
2003-04 388,874 12,375
2004-05 731,484 23,060
2005-06 1,068,482 41,663
2006-07 1,253,045 106,219
2007-08 ytd 71,799

Staff in the Criminal Records Bureau do not receive end of year bonuses. Staff do receive special bonus payments but this information is not available without incurring disproportionate costs.

Data are not available from the Prison Service, who were formally an agency of the Home Office prior to transferring to the Ministry of Justice, as obtaining this data is possible only at disproportionate cost.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.