Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Animal Welfare

Environment Food and Rural Affairs written question – answered on 4th March 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Elliot Morley Elliot Morley Labour, Scunthorpe

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs which of his Department's advisory non-departmental public bodies are concerned with animal health and welfare; whether an animal welfare specialist is on the board of each; and if he will make a statement.

Photo of Jonathan R Shaw Jonathan R Shaw Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Marine, Landscape and Rural Affairs) and Minister for the South East), Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

The information requested is set out in the following table:

Non-departmental public body Animal welfare specialist?
Farm Animal Welfare Council Yes
Animal Health and Welfare Strategy England Implementation Group (EIG) Yes
Independent Scientific Group on TB in Cattle No animal welfare specialist but members have related experience in differing fields including wildlife diseases/badger ecology
Spongiform Encephalopathy Advisory Committee (SEAC) No animal welfare specialist but deputy chair is a practicing vet and a member is Head of the Department of Pathology and Infectious Diseases at the Royal Veterinary College
Veterinary Products Committee No animal welfare specialist but members are experienced in various fields including veterinary surgeons and toxicologists
Veterinary Residues Committee The Committee's terms of reference do not cover animal welfare

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.