Thorn Cross Young Offenders Institute

Justice written question – answered on 5th February 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Helen Southworth Helen Southworth Labour, Warrington South

To ask the Secretary of State for Justice what measures have been taken at Thorn Cross young offenders institute to focus inmates on (a) addressing offending behaviour, (b) developing self discipline, (c) contributing positively to the community and (d) developing vocational skills among (i) juvenile inmates and (ii) inmates above the age of 18.

Photo of David Hanson David Hanson The Minister of State, Ministry of Justice

The information requested is as follows:

(a) In addressing offending behaviour Thorn Cross offers a number of offending behaviour courses for young adults, including Enhanced Thinking Skills and the Short Duration Drugs Programme.

(b) In developing self discipline Thorn Cross takes a structured approach to ensure good behaviour. Bad behaviour is minimal, and emphasis is given to taking individual responsibility. Credit is given to those demonstrating a responsible approach.

(c) In contributing positively to the community, there is significant investment at Thorn Cross. Offenders are engaged positively as part of a restorative justice approach. There is opportunity for involvement in various projects including work with the Warrington Disability Partnership, helping out with local groups as well as hosting an annual event for the WDP.

(d) To develop their vocational skills young people and young adults are given equal opportunity to better their life chances through participating in a full-time education and training programme. This allows them to address literacy, numeracy and life skills while also developing new vocational skills such as construction crafts (plastering, plumbing, painting and decorating and bricklaying). There are also opportunities for to train in motor mechanics, horticulture and catering.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.