Physical Education

Children, Schools and Families written question – answered on 5th February 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Hugh Robertson Hugh Robertson Shadow Minister (Culture, Media and Sport)

To ask the Secretary of State for Children, Schools and Families what assessment he has made of the amount of physical education training provided during initial teacher training for primary school teachers.

Photo of Jim Knight Jim Knight Minister of State (Schools and Learners), Department for Children, Schools and Families, Minister of State (Department for Children, Schools and Families) (Schools and Learners)

holding answer 31 January 2008

Training providers must design their programmes to enable trainees to meet the standards for qualified teacher status. These standards set out what the outcomes of training must be, but neither this Department nor the Training and Development Agency for Schools prescribe either the content of training, or the amount of time that must be spent on each aspect of it.

Most training takes place in schools and this provides trainees with the opportunities they need to meet all of the standards. The standards themselves require trainees to be able to teach across the range of core and non-core subjects of the pupils' curriculum, including PE. In addition, all trainees are expected to be able to create safe learning environments when they teach.

The overall amount of time available for training on many primary programmes is inevitably limited. Training providers themselves make professional judgments about the balance of the various elements of the training programme. Additionally, they are required to take account of individual training needs and to personalise training provision to meet the needs of individual trainees. The specification of training hours for aspects of provision would not be consistent with this flexible approach.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes2 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.