Armed Forces: Schools

Defence written question – answered on 5th February 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Jim Cunningham Jim Cunningham PPS (Mr Mike O'Brien, Minister of State), Department for Work and Pensions

To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what steps the Government take to ensure the education of army personnel's children is taken into account when deciding to move personnel (a) within the UK and (b) overseas.

Photo of Derek Twigg Derek Twigg Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Ministry of Defence) (Veterans)

holding answer 4 February 2008

The MOD offers a number of ways to help parents ensure that their children's education does not suffer as a result of family moves. Although operational requirements come first, the Service Assigning Authorities make every effort to take into account individual preferences for location and timing, especially in relation to the school calendar. Where assignments fall during a key educational stage, service personnel may retain family accommodation at the current location in order to provide continuity of schooling.

Our well regarded Children's Education Advisory Service offers advice on all educational matters and direct assistance on admissions appeals and special educational needs matters. For families moving to or within England, the schools Admissions Code makes consideration of the needs of service children a statutory requirement. For those moving overseas, educational arrangements are made through the Service Children's Education (SCE) Agency.

Continuity of education allowance is available to Service families that decide that the continuity offered by boarding schools is the best option for their children.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No2 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.