NHS: Finance

Health written question – answered on 5th February 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Alan Milburn Alan Milburn Labour, Darlington

To ask the Secretary of State for Health

(1) how many primary care trusts transferred NHS funds to local authorities in the last 12 months; and what the value of those transfers was;

(2) what restrictions there are on how NHS funds transferred to local authorities can be spent.

Photo of Ben Bradshaw Ben Bradshaw Minister of State (Regional Affairs) (South West), The Minister of State, Department of Health

The following table shows the number of primary care trusts (PCTs) transferring grants, and the value of those transfers to local authorities for the year ended 31 March 2007. No other information about the transfer of funds to local authorities (LAs) is collected centrally.

Type of grant Value (£ million) Number of PCTs transferring funds in 2006-07
Revenue grants to fund capital projects(1) 71.3 79
Revenue grants to fund revenue projects(2) 206.2 33

(1) Department of Health audited PCT accounts 2006-07.

(2) Department of Health forecast outturn month 12 national health service financial returns.

PCTs may make payments to LAs as a contribution towards expenditure by the LA on certain community services, including social services and certain health- related services specified in legislation. These payments are made under section 256 of the National Health Service Act 2006, which re-enacted earlier legislation.

Payments may also be made to LAs under partnership arrangements. Under section 75 of the National Health Service Act 2006 the Secretary of State may prescribe arrangements as to the making of payments by an NHS body to a LA in connection with arrangements for exercise of the NHS functions. The arrangements that may be made are specified in the NHS Bodies and Local Authorities Partnership Arrangements Regulations 2000.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.